Linen fabric characteristics
Linen is one of the oldest textiles sorts in the world which is produced from linen fiber. Even 5000 years B.C. linen garments were worn in Egypt. The Lithuanian people were growing linen many years ago. The national Lithuanian songs and tales are mentioning about linen: linen growing, snatching and spinning. The linen is named like sainted plant, sward of sun and corn of women.
- Linen is much more stronger and glossy than cotton. It has antiallergic properties, good to absorb water, permeable for air and cool fabric.
- Linen fibre is strong and not elastic, so linen fabrics crumple very easy. After each washing the fabric becomes softer and less wrinkly.
- It is better to iron linen fabric with hot iron from the backside.
- The linen fabric does not turn yellowish, it becomes whiter and gentler after time.
- Linen fibre goes damp and dry very soon, that is why the fabric warms during cold night and cools the body during hot midday.
- Linen fabric is resistant to static electric load. Also linen fibre is used for protective garments of the spacemen and for protection of the spaceships outside.
- Linen fabric makes the best microclimate for the skin, i.e. it is permeable to air, absorbs dampness and sweat very quickly.
- Linen fabrics are three times stronger than cotton fabrics.
- Linen fabrics are five times more resistant to rubbing than cotton fabrics.
- Linen fabrics absorb dampness and sweat better than cotton fabrics.
- Linen fabric is ecological.It is the producte which does not leave any waste and does not make any harm to nature and ecology.